Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently September 21st, 2018, 7:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Project: Collaboration Magazine - Quarterly
PostPosted: March 24th, 2005, 5:03 pm 

A well known user said to me in pm:

Quote:
Some may have small publications done by others, and then the main author collectively inserts these (like chapters) into the one big main publication.

Great idea! How about a quarterly magazine? It could be published as an exe and available as a download. If DW have any problem hosting it server space and bandwidth-wise, I can host it. Contributors could supply work-in-progress, advertise their projects for collaborators, and it could serve as a general update as to the work-in-progress for the projects on this forum.

It would need:

Contributions - I think I could supply a small contribution or two within 3 months, how about everyone else?
Authoring - menu and front end - design, navigation & graphics. If we have an artist among us, how about a really fab cover?
Compilation - sorting out all those page-level variables etc.
Testers

Any takers?

Cheers, Melanie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2005, 9:59 am 

DW Take lead on this... could replace long awaited Opus 4 User guide...
A monthly one would do.
If developed as an Opus publication even better for the newbies amongst us.
Happy to do the testing...

Post subject: Content
PostPosted: March 29th, 2005, 3:30 pm 

Hi eomc40,

Thanks for the offer to test! :D

Quote:
could replace long awaited Opus 4 User guide...

Are you thinking it should include an Opus 4 User guide? Or maybe a Hints and Tips section which rounds up the latest wrinkles from the board?

Quote:
A monthly one would do.
If developed as an Opus publication even better for the newbies amongst us.

Yup, an Opus publication format - a multimedia downloadable magazine. Monthly sounds like a lot of work - it depends how many people want to contribute with content/edit it.

Nice to hear from you :D

Cheers Melanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2005, 12:46 pm 

Hi Melanie,

I think that a collaborative magazine would be a great idea, though I think pdf for the format is better, we could print it out and digest it's contents even in the smallest room in the house!

Contents could include:

Tips

Developer Experiences

Links to Free software (which you have already started)..here's another http://www.freewarefiles.com lots of Free software here, also one of my indispesable use every day tools http://www.datastic.com/tools/colorcop/

Suggest a project.. This is where people could get together to collaborate on a project suggested by readers.(this avoids any remarks along the line of "why should I do your work for you?")

News from Digital Workshop? feedback from DW for this one.

I'm sure I could find something (interesting?) to contribute to any forthcoming publication and can also be happy to prvovide web space for this if needed.

Let's keep the ball rolling!

Andy

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2005, 1:16 pm 

Nice idea if there's enough people willing to contribute.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Count me in !
PostPosted: April 15th, 2005, 10:02 am 

I'd love to get involved.

I can see the benefits of a PDF version of a magazine, but I think that an Opus based one could be quite special. It could perhaps be built in a way that is printoutable! so an interactive version that prints to PDF so you can read sections on the loo/in bed/wherever!?

A few random thoughts as I type...
It would be nice to make the magazine available to a wider audience than just current users of Opus. Perhaps it could be a good way of showcasing the product and deserves its own website? Maybe some sections could be available as PDF - say tutorials on techniques. It could build into a reference library?!?

It would be nice to see an article about DW... put faces to names, see what the offices look like... an interview with some of the developers.

Post subject: prints to PDF so you can read sections on the loo/in bed/whe
PostPosted: May 9th, 2005, 6:31 am 

Hi Craig & Andy,

Thanks for your input...

Ok, my problem with the PDF format is that I hate it. :D and I can see so many benefits from having an interactive magazine that is made in Opus itself.

Let me eulogise about the alternatives for a moment, in the hopes of persuading you :) :

IMP format:

Benefits - we could include examples that folks could copy and reuse, encourages people to buy Opus to view the publication. Hints and tips would be easy to copy and paste.

Disadvantages - not distributable beyond the Opus customer base - lost opportunity for wider profile. No reading in the loo.

EXE format (built in Opus, of course :) ):

Benefits - we could include all Opus examples, showcases, in a lovely interactive multimedia format - publications will show exactly as they're meant to, instead of producing some screenshot facsimile for the PDF version. Available to a much wider audience range - imagine this as a new format - a multimedia downloadable magazine - potential to bring new customers to Opus if the content is entertaining enough. Also no conversion for existing pubs. And finally, we don't promulgate the evil that is Adobe. :twisted:

Disadvantages - won't show source (unless we make the imp available as well), no loo-reading.

Quote:
Perhaps it could be a good way of showcasing the product and deserves its own website? Maybe some sections could be available as PDF - say tutorials on techniques. It could build into a reference library?!?

Reference library is a very good thought and needs more thinking - I've building my own reference library of Opus hints and tips over the last few months (with the intention of making it downloadable when finished), and I'm sure that I saw in a post that someone else was doing something similar. So this defo needs more research.

My main thoughts are that it does need to be fun, entertaining, interesting and worth downloading, otherwise website (website needs to build traffic etc) or no, it won't make a splash in the wider pool. If it's worth downloading, it will do it's own marketing.

Quote:
It would be nice to see an article about DW... put faces to names, see what the offices look like... an interview with some of the developers.

What a great idea! I'd love to hear the biogs of some of the company, also some of the goals, visions, pet theories, hobbies etc.

Also maybe interviews/Profiles with long-standing Opus users. The veterans, the projects they've worked on, etc. That would be fascinating. And could also act as an advert for their services.

Loads of scope...

We just need a few more people on board

Andy, it's good to hear that you may be able to provide some content. As I said before, I can probably provide one or two items. Craig, how about you? I'd be happy to collaborate on anything or bounce ideas around.

What do you think about size (MB) of download and number of items?

Best wishes,

Melanie

Post subject: Name and Masthead Design Idea 1!
PostPosted: June 28th, 2005, 4:13 pm 

I've had some correspondence with Mel and I suggested "Synergy" as the title of the magazine

syn·er·gy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (snr-j)
n. pl. syn·er·gies
The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From Greek sunergi, cooperation, from sunergos, working together. See synergism.]

I've now done a design idea for the cover. DW - I hope my interpretation of the logo will be ok!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: ART WORK
PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 1:50 pm 

Opus: Opus Pro Edition 9.51
System: Acer Aspire V touch screen edition 4G RAM
Your artwork os simply OUTSTANDING!!!! -

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2009, 11:26 am 

Opus: illuminatus > Evolution
System: i7 8GB RAM
It's a great idea!

Here is another logo idea :D

[edit] I don't know how to delete the second image :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2009, 3:03 am 

The magazine is a good idea. May I suggest going through some old posts from this and the old Illuminatus forum to crystalize some explanations making them more palatable with suitable example as a good teacjing background.